Atom Site Feed

Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Ireland Update

Ireland is beautiful, and the weather has been fine. I've been particularly struck by the ancient ruins, like the 5th century monastic beehive I hiked to yesterday morning on one of the Aran Islands (I had to sneak through a cow pasture to get there.). Of course our own land has been inhabited for thousands of years too, but in the eastern United States the evidence of an earlier civilization has been paved over. Seeing the places of earlier people and their decendents gives me a different sense of time. In general, there is a different sense of time here. The Aran Islands reminded me of Africa in that way.

We've has lots of adventures, including getting a flat tire on a narrow, windy country road amid sheep and the Connamara Mountains. Details on our return!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here