Atom Site Feed

Thursday, November 13, 2008

Feedback

The 39 comments and 179 responses that C. Wess Daniels got to his recent survey made me appreciate what a dynamic forum the web can be. It’s prompted me to ask for your feedback this week, instead of just spouting my own numerous opinions.

First, the big excitement here this week is that I have received a draft cover of my book, even though it won’t be out until next fall! I love the design the publisher came up with, especially since the book begins with a story about Irish fishermen and ends with a water analogy. I’m posting it here to ask your feedback on the subtitle which the publisher assigned it, to ask if this speaks to you or if you have any better ideas than "Knowing when to Take Action and when to Let Go." (I noticed that the letters got distorted when I saved it, so no need to comment on that if the letters look odd here. The faint background writing is cursive on the real thing.)

I am also going to ask your feedback on another matter. I’ve been wondering if I should rethink this blog, maybe focus on fewer topics, rather than jumping all over, or change to more frequent but briefer posts (like everyone who writes about web traffic recommends). I’m not clear yet, though, so I’m wondering what you all think. What do you like best about this blog? What frustrates you? Do you wish I’d stick to spirituality or do you like that I jump around? Feel free to post with or without your name. I value your feedback. Thanks in advance!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I most value your posts that address how your spirituality influences your life. I'd enjoy reading more posts, but am happy with as often as you can.

12:53 PM  
Blogger one raised eyebrow said...

Hi Eileen,

First, I like the book cover...you must be very excited!

Second, I like your writing and your topics. So, feedback is this...write about whatever moves you...write for you, with the knowledge that your words have meaning to others regardless of the topic.

Hope that helps!

1:10 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think that subtitle is helpful, it clarifies what "difference" the wisdom is for! As far as your blogging is concerned, I don't mind that you jump around. Like o.r.e. said, your words have meaning to others regardless of topic.

1:28 PM  
Blogger naturalmom said...

I think it's a good cover. I like the picture. The subtitle is descriptive, but maybe a little... I dunno, dull? Not "stand-out-from-the crowd" enough? I don't have any other suggestions though, and I don't trust my own instincts in these matters, so take my opinion for what *very little* it's worth, lol!

As the queen of random blog topics, I vote for jumping around. I love your topics on spirituality, but blogging on additional subjects allows us to get to know you a little beyond your spirituality, and I like that too. I agree with tricia and o.r.e.: write what you feel like writing on any given day, and we will read and enjoy.

3:04 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

Hi Eileen,

I think you should write for yourself. If you jump around on topics, that's great. I think it would take the life out of your writing if you fetter yourself to others' opinions.

And I like the cover, too. But like naturalmom said, the subtitle is lacking. Does it even need a subtitle?

8:25 PM  
Blogger Martin Kelley said...

For what it's worth, when professional writers I've known start following the advice of professional blog experts the writing usually gets boring. I concur that you should write about topics that interest you. You might find over time that these change and you're aiming toward your next book.

That said, I myself have split apart my every-interest-under-the-sun part of my blog and the "main" part is now more focused.

Congratulations on the book! I can't read the subtitle there very well but then I kind of ignore subtitles.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Imperfect Serenity said...

Thanks all for the affirmation. I agree that writing is most alive when the writer has inner inspiration, not some outer goal. As for subtitles, they are more or less a requirement, but I should be able to tweak this one.

7:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Without "Knowing" would the subtitle still clarify, as tricia said? It would be less repetitive. Or maybe substitute learning/finding/discerning/balancing. . .?

naturalmom speaks for me on the virtues of jumping around.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Imperfect Serenity said...

OK, how about this? The Wisdom to Know the Difference: Finding Serenity and Courage in Turbulent Times

12:41 PM  
Blogger Lone Star Ma said...

I like that. Also, I like the way you jump around.

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Who Links Here